Friday, February 10, 2017

Arts Bridge Semester 2: 5th Grade!

This semester I am working with a 5th grade class in the Provo school district. I am very excited because 5th grade content curriculum includes US history, which is one of my favorite subjects. I also am blessed to be working with a teacher who is working on her master's in education, focusing on arts integration in the classroom. She is a master teacher who is excited to help me learn and to learn from me in return.

Our goals for the semester are to prepare students for a parent night at the end of March when they will be performing scenes from US history using a series of frozen tableau images (a scene of frozen students all acting) and narrating the events with Reader's Theater. After each frozen image is created and narrated, parents will go around touching the characters in history who will come alive and narrate a life story. This was all the brain child of my mentor teacher- so I can take no credit for the idea! It will be a perfect combination of practicing frozen images, story reading, and story telling for the students. The lessons will prepare them for these skills and will simultaneously help them work on practicing the literacy comprehension skills of compare/contrast, inference, prediction, character traits, setting, and perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment